A Quilters Moto

"Measure twice and cut once"

Monday, April 25, 2011

The Joy of Quilting


I never imagined that I would become a quilter. If you had asked me 10 years ago, I would have laughed. But, now...I can't think of doing anything else. I live to quilt. I was diagnosed with heart disease and my cardiologist suggested that I take up a hobby that would relax me. I tend to be a little high strung. Can you believe that? Anyway, I had a friend that suggested quilting. I thought that she was kidding, but then I found out that she was actually a beautiful quilter and she would teach me her craft. After two afternoons with her, I was HOOKED! I went straight home and told my husband that I NEEDED a sewing machine and that I wanted to quilt. So when I suggested that we buy my beautiful brand new Bernina Patchwork Edition Activa 230 he looked me in the eye and said, "REALLY?"

Now, he couldn't be happier that I bought that wonderful humming machine. It creates beautiful quilts like the one right here, made with the stunning Coquette fabric by Carina Gardner, that sits in my family room and he cuddles under it every night. I have since made so many quilts that I have lost count. I will post a few pictures of some of my creations and I will start to blog about the process. I am a quilter that loves the entire process, from choosing the fabric to sewing the binding on. I would love to hear from you about my quilts. I hope that you enjoy them.

A Rainbow of Color

I made this quilt for my nephew Cole. It is hard to see, but the fabric has dinosaurs and bugs on it. Perfect for little boys!!


An Irish Chain



I made this great quilt for my mother. There are actually a lot of things that I would have done differently with this one, but she loves it just the same. Like mothers are supposed to do, right?

Cora's Quilt

This is actually one of my first quilts that I made. I love the fabric I used. I made it for my niece who lived in Boston at the time. I sewed a jingle bell into the lining. It took her two weeks before she figured it out and then it became one of her favorite things. She would walk around and shake the blanket to hear it jingle.

4 comments:

  1. I love the pinwheel quilt you made using Carina's fabric. Do you know where I could purchase the pattern and fabric, either online, or in a store? I live in the Ft worth, TX area.
    Love your work! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda,
    Thanks so much. For starters, I sell my quilts and would LOVE to make you my pinwheel quilt! You name it and I will make it for you.

    I am sorry to say that the fabric is no longer available. It is Carina Gardner's Coquette line; however, she has a new line coming in January that is kind of similar and very beautiful. You can link to her website on my blog. The pattern is off of pieplatepatterns.com if you want to make it yourself. But, don't forget, I would love to make it for you:) Thanks for comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog! This is still one of our favorite baby blankets and we can't wait for Lily to figure out the little bell inside. She loves to roll around and get all tangled up in her blankets. Thank you again for such a special gift :) We can't wait to see more of your beautiful creations...love,kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the dinosaur quilt. I love the colors and the diagonals. What a lovely story about how you got into quilting.

    ReplyDelete